The Overland normally took about 4 to 5 hours to get from Lerwick to Baltasound. It consisted of:-
- A bus from Lerwick to Mossbank (Toft's Voe replaced Mossbank as the terminal fairly early on).
- A small boat from Mossbank/Tofts Voe (The Shalder, skippered by Robbie Jarmson & then Harry Rich) across Yell Sound to Ulsta on Yell.
- A bus from Ulsta to Mid Yell where all passengers and cargo had to be decanted to another bus. The story goes that there were 2 bus operators on Yell who couldn't agree to do the service right through Yell on alternate days.
- The second Yell bus took passengers from Mid Yell to Gutcher.
- At Gutcher another small boat (The Tystie skippered by Davy Johnson) carried people and goods across Blue Mull Sound to Belmont on the south end of Unst.
- Hopefully there was another bus at Belmont to carry passengers to various parts of Unst.
(Thanks to Peter Leask for correcting some of my mistakes!)